10 July 2007

Reality Check (Poem)

I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)

Please also note that I check only occasionally for comments, so if you make any, please be patient.

Kayleen White

Reality check

I found myself in a minority
- and surprising tho’ that ‘twas,
It wasn’t my choice,
It wasn’t nice,
and it wasn’t a minority of one
- which was rather nice.

My problems came, tho’,
when my inner glee,
Soon found my
shared minorities,
Had bits and pieces,
That really weren’t so
… nice, after all.

Oops.
and I had thought
the majority,
gave up
their moral worth,
when they created my latest minority.

But no,
those in my shared minorities
Were human,
after all,
and so, indeed,
were the majority.

So
… perhaps it’s time,
for all to be,
a little kinder
on thee
- whether thee be
part of a minority,
a clique of sailors,
a lesser known religion,
a race or sexuality
- or, indeed, a gender identity,
and not try to ram
their truth
down others truths’ throats,
whether those throats share
thy minority or not.

And I’ll
Most earnestly
promise to try
not to be so trusting,
naïve
and relived,
when I find my next minority
of those seeking
to not make the same
mistake twice.

After all,
variety is a spice.

© Kayleen White 2007

No comments: