06 January 2013

[Content Warning] The Workhouse Howl


Man’s inhumanity
to mankind
is well known
in war
and strife
and bloody dictatorship:
but what are we
to make of
a place
a time
a culture
that thinks the poor
or unemployed
are merely lazy
- there’s jobs out there
if they really want them
and then
to prove its point
compounds
the error
future tho’ it be to them
of concentration camps
for women and children
in places and climes
far to the south
by building prisons
for the poor
and
in backward echo
of "work will make you free"
calls them
workhouses.


Copyright © Kayleen White, 2012 I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)