10 July 2007

Crabby old grumps (Poem)

I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)

Please also note that I check only occasionally for comments, so if you make any, please be patient.

Kayleen White


Crabby old grumps

I
would be
a leader.
For after all,
I’ve become
a crabby old grump
- doesn’t that mean
I know it all?

I
would be
a leader.
I made that call
quite some time ago,
but now,
I’ve become
a crabby old grump
- doesn’t that mean
I shouldn’t be at all
one who aspires
to be
a leader?

I’ve mocked those
who
lashed out
at what was different
to their knowns.
Perhaps that is the key
- for I try to listen,
to grow,
to be aware of things new and not yet known;
and I do my level best
to remember
the bricks I bashed against
when I was once also young.

My life has gone
awry
perhaps it is there I should look
for the cause of the grumps,
and not just
some weird malaise
that strikes those who like to think themselves
middle aged.

Of others I do not know,
But of myself,
I see I should be
in a place in life
more settled,
more assured,
before I try
to gain the place of trust
I seek others to give me.

©Kayleen White 2007

No comments: