21 March 2013

[Content Warning] My back

My back
my blasted and thrice damned back
aches
beyond belief.
I ache
I'm stiff,
I'm ill - I know it is so.
Age it's not
though age I have.
Care, it is,
care, and duty of care,
t'wards love
and love's childs,
have charged
their fill
in bloody barbs
entangled
viciously
in my aged back.
There's an end
logic says
an end in sight,
but my back,
my blasted and thrice damned back,
grasp and grab
and draw me
back.

I know the cure:
cease to care,
cease to give,
to be selfless;
take time
to exercise
twist and flex,
take time
above all else
to rest
to care for self;
I know that cure
and love
and duty
and love of duty
say nay,
not yet.

Copyright © Kayleen White, 2012 I undertake these writings – and the sharing of them – for the sake of my self expression. I am under no particular illusions as to their literary merit, and ask only that any readers do not have any undue expectations. If you consider me wrong, then publish me – with full credit, of course :)